Restore-A-Deck is the only product on the market that offers both a Step 1 Deck Cleaner and a Step 2 Deck Brightener in the same kit. Restore-A-Deck comes in a powdered concentrated formula. Each 2 lb container makes 5 liquid gallons. Simply pour each into a five-gallon container and add water to dissolve the powder concentrate.
Restore A Deck Cleaner and Brightener Scores (1-10)
Removal of Graying, Dirt, Grime: 9
- The Restore-A-Deck Step 1 Deck Cleaner did very well at removing general dirt and grime. The deep cleaning formula made it easy to break down the gray wood cells. All mold was removed as well. The Step 1 Deck Cleaner did not remove some rust stains from the furniture but the Step 2 Brightener did.
Cost Per Square Foot: 10
- The best on the market today. Cost to clean and brighten an average 600 square foot deck is less than $.07 a foot. Since Restore-A-Deck comes in a powder we liked that you only needed to mix as much as you needed. Very little waste.
Removal of Old Stain: N/A
- RAD products are designed to clean, not remove old deck stains. We would presume that they would remove a deck stain if the stain has deteriorated drastically.
Ease of Application: 8
- RAD does not come in a liquid. You need to measure 6 oz per gallon of water of mix the entire 2 lb. container into a 5 gallons of water. This product does apply easily with a garden pump sprayer. We needed to make sure to mix at the correct dosage otherwise the powder did not completely dissolve. Testing was done with both scrubbing and pressure washing. Both worked well. Step 2 brightener does not need to be scrubbed, just rinsed with water after 10 minutes.
Final Appearance of Cleaning: 9
- The IPE wood deck looked brand new after cleaning and drying for 2 days. We would have given this a score of 10 if it was not for a couple of minor water spots that did not come out. These spots looked to be from planter boxes.
- Restore-A-Deck makes a great and economical product for reviving your deck to like new condition. We really like that kits contained both the cleaner and brightener. This was easier than buying the products separately.
Where To Buy: Restore-A-Deck Dealers
Product Type: Powdered Concentrate. Kit contains Step 1 Deck Cleaner and Step 2 Deck Brightener
Available Sizes: 2 Pound Container Makes 5 Liquid Gallons
Application Temperature: 45-95 F
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Scrub Brush, Pump Sprayer
Manufacturer: Restore A Deck
Test Deck Stats:
Location of Deck: Pennsylvania
When Tested: June 2008
Deck Wood Type: IPE Exotic Hardwood
Deck Square Footage: 500
Condition of Deck: Heavily grayed with mold/mildew. No previous stain
How Much Product Used: RAD 300 Kit. Retails for $49.99
edited by admin
Beth, I am sorry but we do not allow postings by manufacturers of any brands. This is part of our rules.
Who specifically manufactures this now? It used to be Woodr... but this seems to have changed?
Also you mention:
Restore-A-Deck is the only product on the market that offers both a Step 1 Deck Cleaner and a Step 2 Deck Brightener in the same kit.
This needs to be corrected as we found many other kits available.
We followed the instructions on Western Red cedar but ended up with an inconsistent, chalky white look with a fuzzy and/ or scaly look in places. Not sure what could have gone wrong but it certainly didn't look like new. Not happy; we now have to sand the deck before treating with wood oil. I also haven't been able to find out what is in this product - so my two questions are what could've gone wrong and what's in this product? Oxalic acid? We were also unable to get help during the application process ... the customer service number didn't work.
You probably did not get off all of the oxidized wood cells when you were cleaning. These need to be removed with the cleaner and pressure washing for best results. If you do not get the oxidized wood cells off it will look like wood pulp on the wood after it is dried. The cleaner contains Sodium Percarbonate. Nothing wrong with their telephone number when we called.